I started this assignment with two goals; to learn how to
use Photoshop and do critical analysis on the history and use of it. I feel I
have completed both of these goals in multiple ways.
Through planned projects, I’ve been able to incorporate Photoshop
into my life in meaningful ways, such as creating a piece of art and
participating in an online community. Along with giving me valuable technical
skills, practicing Photoshop has allowed me to be a more informed consumer of
media. I’ve been given an introduction to the field of photo-editing that will
allow me understand where and how digital media is produced.
Furthermore, critical research in the past and present
history of Photoshop and photo manipulation in general has given me valuable
insight on this piece of technology. The most important points I learned were:
- The desire to edit photography is as old as the technology itself.
- Photo-editors share the desire to alter perceptions of the world, but differ on whether to use this for personal or public benefit as well as whether to both hide or expose the truth.
- Photoshop did not change why people edit photos, but rather changed the ease of use and access to photo-editing tools.
- Modern users of Photoshop share interests with early photomontage artists. Both groups use photo-editing as an alternative form of communication and encourage the sharing their works for social purposes
- Photoshop simultaneous raises the concern for ethical photo manipulation while making it easier to expose corrupt practices.
·
In combination with the Internet, Photoshop and
other media creation tools are a means to empower the individual to interact
and play with media as well as create political and social commentary.
Now that my project is complete, I have two new goals.
First, I wish to continue using Photoshop so I can enhance my creative
potential and find more ways it can help me be a part of participatory culture.
Second, I hope I can take the analytical skills I learned through both
researching Photoshop and creating this blog to perform similar critiques on
media and technology and share my views with the world.
I hope this blog has been valuable to you in some way.
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment