When looking for a way to incorporate Photoshop in my life,
I was lucky to have it given to me. This semester I’m in an art class for
non-art majors on jewelry and metalsmithing. My first major assignment in that
class was to make an identity badge. Using several layers of metal, I needed to
come up with a design that reflects my identity in some way and fabricate it
into a metal, wearable badge.
![]() |
| This falcon was my design base |
During the process of creating my design, I decided my piece
would be made out of shoes – yes, shoes. I’ve always had a bit of a hoarding
problem. I have a tough time letting go of object I find sentimental in some
way, so I’ve grown a collection of shoes I’ve worn in the past several years. For
my identity badge, I decided to arrange my shoes into a collage of a falcon. I’ve
always had an appreciation of birds and how they represent spirit and freedom,
so by forming my own shoes into a shape of a bird I could make a statement of
my identity. To do this, I took pictures of my shoes, edited them in Photoshop,
and then printed out the pictures on a special paper that allowed me to etch
the images onto metal. These metal pieces would then be arranged into a collage
to make a falcon in flight.
![]() |
| This joys of staring at my dirty old shoes for many hours |
Though all I needed to do was cut out each shoe from its background
and change their color to black and white, the process turned out to be A LOT
harder than I expected. My trouble was learning how to use Photoshop; I didn’t
know the program’s layout or terminology, or even the terms for photo editing
in general, so it took a while to find the help I needed.
I started by taking tutorials on Lynda.com, a website that makes tutorial videos on a variety of computer programs. While helpful, the
learning pace on Lynda was far too slow for me; I needed to know certain
techniques and needed them fast. Eventually, I moved on to good old Google
searches. I was surprised to find how accurate, helpful, and variable the
sources were even when my knowledge and search terms were uninformed in the
language of Photoshop.
Whenever I became frustrated with Photoshop, I moved onto the
familiar Microsoft Word to edit my photos. For instance, while I wanted the
pictures to be in black and white, the colors had to be inverted first to make
the desired design on the metal etching. But I soon discovered Word gave me
less quality and choice in editing. Each time, I eventually moved back to
Photoshop by finding the help I needed.
![]() |
| Final |
![]() |
| Original |
![]() |
| Without the border |
This project was a fantastic learning experience for me. I
discovered that though you might need to do a little research at first,
learning to use Photoshop will take out a lot of the time and stress of editing
photos compared to simpler programs. Furthermore, I learned the best path for
learning a technology is the one most comfortable for you. By using Photoshop
for both my art class and my portfolio on this blog, I was able to make one
bird with several shoes.
I’ll post my final project later. Thanks for reading!

.png)



No comments:
Post a Comment