When starting my research on Photoshop, I wondered where I
could learn about earliest history on the manipulation of photographs. All
technologies have roots in the aspirations of past theorists, inventors, and
early adapters, and the history of an object like Photoshop goes beyond when it
was created. Thankfully, I was able to find the perfect introduction to the
world of photo manipulation
Photomontage by
Dawn Ades provides a detailed history of the artists who first embraced the
concept of photomontage – the process and result of combining two or more
photographs into a new image. Ades explores the motivations and practices
developed by these artists, focusing on two early 20th-century art
movements. Dada was a European experimental art movement interested in breaking
traditional aesthetics. Dadaists often described their work as “anti-art,” and
created playful pieces that influenced the development of surrealism.
Constructivism was a Russian artistic philosophy the rejected autonomous art
and looked at how art can serve a social purpose. Constructivists where interested
in industry and architecture, and many constructivist used their work to
advocate political revolution. Both these groups were important developers in
the art of photomontage.
| John Heartfield The Spirit of Geneva 27 November 1932 |
This book made me realize how the creators of photomontage
influenced the use of Photoshop. Like these artists, Photoshop is used largely
to make pieces that will be shared with the public, whether it be through advertisement,
journalism, activists, or people just playing around with images. The Internet
has enhanced this vision by creating more opportunities to distribute art.
Furthermore, modern photomontage through Photoshop often values the juxtaposition
of relatable images to create both political and humorous statements. Our digital
culture loves to use and reuse images from pop culture, politics, news, and all
parts of life to relay perceptions of reality.
I highly recommend Photomontage
for how it details the importance of photo manipulation in the past few
centuries. I hope to bring back many ideas from the book when I cover digital
culture and photoshop-related memes. Thanks for reading!
Bibliography:
Ades, D. (1986). Photomontage. London, UK; Thames & Hudson
Bibliography:
Ades, D. (1986). Photomontage. London, UK; Thames & Hudson
No comments:
Post a Comment